Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Most Important Meal

Breakfast.  They tell us it's the most important meal of the day.  And it is.  But it's also the most often skipped.

I am not one to just jump up and eat first thing in the morning.  I like to be up for awhile, drink a cup of coffee (or two) and then think about eating.  If I'm running first thing in the am, I will eat a little bit of something, like a mini bagel with peanut butter.  But I often find myself getting on with my day and then realizing at 10am that I haven't eaten anything.  Not good.

Especially now that I'm back in school.  The high school that I teach at starts at 7:15am.  Yep, you read that right. Personally, I think it's cruel and unusual punishment to make a teenager be at school at 7:15.  But what do I know.  Technically, as long as I'm there by 7-ish, I'm fine.  But I like at least a 1/2 hour to "get in the zone" and put on my teacher hat, so I try to get there no later than 6:45am.

Which means I get up at 5:15 (or so...depends on how many snoozes I take), get dressed and head out the door by 6:30 (Luckily, I don't live far from the school).  This schedule does not work well with my lazy breakfast preference.

You can guess what happens.

I drink my first cup of coffee while I'm getting dressed in the morning, and take one with me when I go.  But breakfast doesn't happen before I head out the door.  Then I'm STARVING by 9:30.  Not good.

So this school year I decided to take a different approach.  Protein shakes or smoothies.  I can make them ahead of time, grab them when I leave the house, and drink it on the way.  Problem solved.  And I'm not ravenous before lunch.

There are a million (+ 1) resources for protein shake and smoothie recipes online...just google it and you'll get more than you can go through in an evening.

But right now I have a fave to share:

Peanut Butter Banana Shake

For 1 serving (I usually make a double batch or more)

1 scoop protein powder (I use vanilla whey protein)
1-2 Tbsp peanut butter
1 cup skim milk
1/2 banana

Blend. Pour. Enjoy!


What about you? Do you have a favorite protein shake or smoothie recipe to share?



No comments:

Post a Comment