Pages

Friday, May 13, 2011

Fitting It All In....

[I started writing this post the other day, then I read this post up at  'another mother runner’ about Whitney, who has 9 (NINE!) kids, and still manages to be an avid runner.  Now I just feel like a whiner…..]

want to be a better runner.  I really do.  I have the motivation. What I'm lacking is the time.  I know I'm not alone in this.  Here's a snapshot of my life:

I teach high school math.  Only part time this year, but next school year I will be full-time. Oh, and the school I teach at starts at 7:15 in the am. (Cruel and unusual for teenagers, I know).

I'm taking classes.  Yes, I'm in school myself.  Teaching is a career change for me, so I'm actually adding a teaching credential to my Bachelor’s.

I have two kids, ages 9 and 6.  Between the two of them, every evening of the week has some extra-curricular activity (they each only have two, but one is swimming which is multiple evenings per week).

And I have a husband who likes to spend time with his wife (I think).  

And then there's all the rest of the junk:  a house to clean, groceries to buy, laundry to do, etc. etc.  

Oh, and did I mention I play softball two nights a week?  

Sound familiar?  I'm not complaining, just laying it all out.  I'm busier than some people, less busy than others.  These aren’t excuses not to run; these are just the things that cut into my running time. 

I should also mention that I am a "7 hours of sleep" kind of girl.  I would prefer 8, but I can function just fine on 7.  Any less than that and I'm just not my usual chipper self.  I have to get up between 5 and 5:30 just to get myself and the kids up, ready, and out the door on time.  So morning runs during the school year are pretty much out.  Sure, I could get up at 4 am.  But then I'd have to be in bed and asleep by 9pm.  My kids go to bed at 8:30. Sometimes that time between 8:30 and 10:00 is the only time during the day I have to get things done....like sit and have "quiet time."  

So then there's evenings and nights.  I do most of my short runs at the gym on the treadmill while my kids are out in the pool at practice. But anything more than 4 or 5 miles and I want to bang my head on the treadmill out of sheer boredom.   

Longer runs are obviously saved for the weekends.  

So my question for all you "runner moms" out there who have kids, households, husbands/significant others, and jobs.  How do you do it? 

I know it can be done.  I know it will involve setting priorities, scheduling, and sacrificing.  Sometimes when you’re in the middle of the problem, you don’t see the solution.  What I’m hoping to get is sage advice from moms who have made it work. 

What works for you?  How do you fit in all those miles, without sacrificing the important things (like sleep)?  

No comments:

Post a Comment